I planted potatoes in grow bags in early March and they are growing like wild fire. The leaves are about four feet high and very healthy. My friend says that you can eat the leaves, but I say no. Who is right?
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Actually, you are right. Potato leaves, along with the stem as well as green potatoes, are considered poisonous. They contain a toxin called solanine. Solanine can cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, headaches and dizziness. Hallucinations, loss of sensation, and paralysis, fever, jaundice, dilated pupils and hypothermia have been reported in severe cases. In large quantities, solanine poisoning can even cause death. So tell your friend not to eat these leaves!