Bird Of Paradise Plants

Posionous Plants to Cats and Dogs Especially Rain Forest Types

Hi, We live in Northern NSW on acreage and I am trying to establish a rainforest garden for my husband and a native area with grevilleas etc for the native birds and animals. I also have 2 cats and a dog who love to spend time in the garden with me but when I go into the house so do they. They are not a threat to the native birds or wallabies they just sit and watch them by my side. Which is good. My problem is I have just been researching Palms and found out that the bird of Paradise, especially the large white and purple flower version called Strelitzia Nicolai is toxic to my cats and dogs. Plus Cycads. I have about an acre at least to cover as a rainforest and am bow worried about buying any more plants until I have thorough;y checked them out for safety. I believe all parts of some plants, roots leaves flowers and berries plus sap can be posionous to them. Can you advise which plants to avoid planting. Plus I don't want to attract the bats that are on the other side of the river. I will be doing an organic fruit orchard and veggie garden next after the rainforest is on its way. Many thanks. Any advice greatly appreciated or links. Regards Claire and Robert

Here are more questions about Bird Of Paradise Plants