Plum Trees

Plum Tree Leaves Falling Off

rileyroo added on June 17, 2013 | Answered

I planted my plum tree in the garden about 3 years ago (was in a pot for the first year). First year in the ground fruited lovely, last year fruit came we think the squirrels had the fruit as at night they where there gone in the morning (it wasn't the neighbor). This year the fruit has formed (still small) but all of a sudden the leaves half gone off half the tree. Pruned it last year for the first time blossomed lovely. Please help.

I would leave the fruit alone. If the tree thinks it's too much, it will shed what it can't handle. If you take a sample, take a fruit too.

00
rileyroo

Thanks very much for the reply in the affected area i have also noticed that the fruit that was growing has stayed really small, should i take these off? The rest of the tree (fingers crossed) is ok.
April

00

If only half of the tree is affected, I would suspect herbicide drift. If this is the cause, the leaves probably will not grow back this season, but should next year. If the problem gets worse, take a sample to your local agricultural extension office.

00
Here are more questions about Plum Trees