Elderberry Bushes

Planting Elderberries

I was given bare shoots in the early summer that I planted in buckets, not expecting the 'sticks' to do anything. Surprise! I have healthy plants 1-2' tall. Everything I have read states to transplant in the spring - but I need to get these in the ground for them to survive the winter here in Pittsburgh. Any advice would be appreciated.

While spring would be better for you, since you have them already go ahead and stick them in the ground, but make sure to add some mulch for winter portection. You could also choose to place them in a container until spring planting outdoors. For more help with growing these shrubs, this article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/elderberry/planting-elderberry.htm

Here are more questions about Elderberry Bushes