Raised Garden Beds

vegelady added on March 12, 2012 | Answered

I have had a garden for 4 years. I have done ok but I want to incorporate the raised beds along with rows. Is there a best placement for the boxes and the rows or is it what I want. I will be planting vegetables and a few herbs.

You can always plant them however you want though a north-south orientation is best for growing low growing plants, as it allows sunlight to reach both sides of the beds. Beds that contain taller plants do better on an east-west axis. However, as long as the raised garden bed gets a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight and plants don't shade each other out, it really doesn’t matter either way. North to south facing simply implies that the beds (or plants) are situated from the shadiest part (north) down to the sunniest area(south), which prevents them from shading out one another.

Here are more questions about Raised Garden Beds