Pindo Palm Trees

Pindo Palm Care – Cutting Leaves

KeithJames added on August 30, 2015 | Answered

We have a Pindo Palm, which my wife loves. A few of the lower leaves started to turn brown at the same time as others in the garden and once fully brown I trimmed them off. A few others which were partially brown I left to wait. However, the two ones which were about to sprout in the center have turned brown. Is our plant dying? It was planted about one year ago. I am desperate for help, as it was an expensive plant. We live in Houston and had a very wet spring, although for a month our sprinklers were intermittent. Thanks Keith

Regular maintenance of browning leaves is not uncommon, remove those but do not remove green fronds.

A regular fertilizer schedule may improve the palms health. Use a fertilizer that is formulated for Palms. Look for a ratio of 8-4-12 and follow the application directions. A good schedule is 2 to 3 applications between spring and fall. Sprinkle it around the palm and water in.

Verify that the soil is well draining.
Water when the top 3 inches of soil is dry and water deeply. Use a soaker hose or a slow hose and water in a circle extending out 4 ft in a circle around the base of the palm.
Soggy soil will cause the palm to suffer root rot.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/pindo-palm/growing-pindo-palm-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Pindo Palm Trees