Sago Palm Trees

Overpruned Sago Palm

dpingree added on May 7, 2018 | Answered

During the past severe winter, my mature sago palm suffered frost damage. Many of the fronds turned yellow, although some were still green. I trimmed some of the dead growth off and left the green ones. Unfortunately, a few days ago, without asking me, my lawn care crew completely cut all the fronds off, right up to the trunk of the plant, leaving just a stump. Needless to say, I am very angry about the situation. My question is, does this sago have a chance of recovering from the damage? If so, what do I need to do to help it? I'd appreciate any advice you have. Thank you. Dianne Pingree Austin, TX

There is nothing that you can do to help it, really, at this point. Removing all of the fronds will usually result in the death of this cycad, unfortunately. Sometimes, as they are dying, they can shoot up a replacement pup or two. Just be patient, and you might see a replacement soon. If not, then the plant has suffered irreparable damage due to the negligent pruning.

00
Here are more questions about Sago Palm Trees