Amaryllis Plants

On Growing Amaryllis Indoors in Winter

witzend009 added on December 3, 2011 | Answered

I was gifted an amaryllis by a very special friend and on the way home the plant tipped over in the car. There was soil that spilled out of the pot and when I got home I didn't know if the soil should go on top of the amaryllis or under the amaryllis. It is now time to water the plant and the bulb comes almost all the way up to the top of the pottery pot. Another question is how do I water it? My friend told me 1 cup per week. I am guessing I'll have to water a little at a time and let it drain down in the pot. But my main question is do I lift the bulb up and allow the soil to go under the plant or leave it over the top? There's really not much soil but I wanted to do the right thing. PLEASE help me. . .this is a VERY good friend of mine.  Thank you in advance.

Generally, the top of the amaryllis bulb is left sticking up from the soil. This article will help with its care: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/amaryllis-hippeastrum/amaryllis-care-instructions-how-to-care-for-an-amaryllis.htm

00
Here are more questions about Amaryllis Plants