Oak Trees

Oak Tree Damage

I'd appreciate some advice regarding an old oak tree on my property. Growth is still vigorous, but a fair amount of bark is now missing. This consists mainly of a wide wound (some eight inches) from ground to a fork some ten feet up. There's no sign of any decay but more worryingly above this is a strip of bark around sixteen/eighteen inches long curling away from one of the forks, leading down to a bigger section that seems to be slightly pulled away from the trunk. I wondered if I should attempt to secure this in some way – perhaps tape, although the weight of the bark would probably pull this away, or tacks. I'm concerned that the weight of the strip or possibly movement caused by wind might cause more bark to come away.

Becca062

This will explain how to deal with the damage, good luck!
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/repairing-tree-bark-damage.htm

00
Here are more questions about Oak Trees