Thyme Plants

New Gardener I Am

caters added on March 8, 2014 | Answered

I have grown maples for 3 years and 1 of them had an injury to the bark but it did not go into that growing part so it could heal itself and it did. However, I haven't grown fruits or veggies or herbs or grains and I want to grow all those since my mom and I are pretending to be on this new earth. I found out the minimum distance between plants for the standard grown from seed fruits and veggies and here they are: Apple: 30 ft Orange: 25 ft Lemon and Lime: 8 ft Blueberry: 5 ft Raspberry: 2 ft Blackberry: 4 ft Strawberry: 1 ft Cherry: 10 ft(this works for both sweet and sour) Grape: 6 ft Asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, and cucumber: 1 ft beets: 5 in green beans, leeks, and sweet potato: 6 in carrots, garlic, and shallots: 4 in cauliflower and eggplant: 1.5 ft celery and peppers: 10 in corn and lettuce: 8 in onion: 2 in peas and radishes: 1 in potato: I don't know, perhaps same as sweet potato pumpkin: 16 in tomato: 15 in 1) What are the minimum distances between plants of these herbs and grains: Herbs: Thyme Oregano Basil Parsley Mint Grains: Oats Wheat 2) My momma and I want a bountiful harvest of all of these, so what is the minimum number of plants of each type I need? 3)Do I even need to take the maximum into consideration?

With all of the herbs, spacing is not so much of an issue. Thyme, oregano and mint all grow in masses and are happy to do so. Basil and parsley will grow well planted closely, but about 6 inches (15cm) space will give them room to breath, so to speak.

Here is a great resources on growing grains:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/sorec/growing-grains-small-farm

This article on planning your garden for the size of your family should also be helpfu:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/family-vegetable-garden-size.htm

00
Here are more questions about Thyme Plants