Canna Lilies

Tropicana Canna Lily Not Flowering

artsysuz added on July 14, 2015 | Answered

I live in lower Michigan, Zone 6a: this is my first year with Canna Lilies. I have 2 in pots and 1 is blooming nicely but the other one seems more intent on producing babies than growing a spike and flowering. I don't know the proper name for it but it's got green and yellow striped leaves tinged with a maroon color and the underside of the leaf is also maroon. So my questions are: Why isn't it flowering? Should I separate the babies? There are now 7 of them and counting. The main plant had 2 small babies when I bought it and planted it. That was 2 weeks ago. It's a beautiful plant even if it doesn't flower but I would like it to flower. I did fertilize it a few days ago. Thank you for your help!

To much Nitrogen (in the fertilizer) promotes lots of leaves and little or no flowering.
Adding Phosphorous with Bone Meal can correct this.
Wait until late summer to divide the Canna Lily.

Here are links for you.

Here are more questions about Canna Lilies