My Rose Bush Is Dead Except for a Sucker

tamahawkin added on April 15, 2015 | Answered

My rose bush is dead except for a sucker coming off of it. Can I grow a new rose bush from this sucker? I've had the rose for 3 years and it's grown every year. This year, after cutting it back like I do the others, it didn't come back. The rose ball and larger stems are dead, but a sucker is growing like crazy from below the soil. Can I regrow a bush from this sucker and if so, how?

Many rosebushes are grafted rosebushes. Thus when the top and desired part dies, the hardy root stock portion below ground will take over. This growth is usually very vigorous and depending upon the actual rootstock used, it can take over an area and will usually not bloom much for a couple years then will bloom some. I would suggest trying to find the original desired rosebush. There is a website called Roses of Yesterday and Today that has many older rosebushes and you may be able to find yours there. If you have pictures of her blooms and foliage send them to them and they can help you try to locate your rosebush. Here is a link to an article of mine on grafted rosebushes for you too: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/roses/own-root-roses-grafted-roses.htm

00