Pumpkin Plants

My Pumpkin Didn’t Grow

bfreynolds added on September 12, 2012 | Answered

I planted my seeds in early May this year and although I have vines and flowers growing like crazy, I have only had 2 pumpkins grow--which only started about 2 weeks ago. One of the pumpkins got to be about the size of a tennis ball and one day it was fine and the very next day it was shriveled up and fell of the vine. Now I have another one growing and it is about the size of 2 tennis balls. I'm hoping it makes it. I also have the same issue with my tomato plants growing like crazy, just not producing any tomatoes. Can anyone tell me why or what I can do to help them grow?

This could be due to poor pollination. Poor pollination affects fruit set. High temperatures will cause plant stress. As a result, any pollinated fruit may have simply be aborted. A heat wave can also deter bees from their job. You could also have more male flowers than females, which also inhibits pollination. You could try hand-pollinating your pumpkin plants, which is done in the same manner as with squash. Here is an article that may help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/pollinate-squash-by-hand.htm

The same goes for your tomatoes. This happens due to a lack of pollination. This summer has been hard on tomato pollination due to the heat and humidity. You may need to hand pollinate these as well. This article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/tomato/pollinate-tomatoes.htm

00
Here are more questions about Pumpkin Plants