Ponytail Palm Trees

My Ponytail Palm Is Covered in Pups

Rosemartin2468 added on September 11, 2015 | Answered

My ponytail palm is covered in pups. Whenever I read about how to transplant pups, the instruction is to dislodge them carefully with earth. These pups are not growing in the ground. They come straight out of the bulbous part of the stem. If I dig them out with the roots, the bulbs will be left with gouged holes. If I slice them off, I fear that the the pups will not grow. Can I use the hormone that produces roots on the ponytail pups? Instructions are not clear. What should I do?

These new plants are not true pups as they are growing out from the bulb, not next to the bulbous mother.
You can trim them off and treat the wound with a fungicide. I would not to all at once. The plant will be stressed and susceptible to disease as you mention.
You also can leave them and grow a multiple trunked Ponytail.
I true pup will be in the soil and have roots.
I was not able to find much information on rooting the cuttings if you so attempt.

Here are more questions about Ponytail Palm Trees