Umbrella Plants

Umbrella Plant Turned Brown

Garden.lady added on October 5, 2015 | Answered

My new umbrella pine turned completely brown. Would it ever come back if I pruned it back? I put the umbrella in a large pot because I wasn't quite sure where to plant it. I wanted to find a place that has afternoon shade and enough morning sun. I put it on the morning sun side of the house. It began to turn brown even though I put it in some planting mix with a lot of organic matter and watered it fairly evenly without over watering it. When it began to turn brown, I noticed some new growth that was green but it even turned brown. Is there hope or is it completely gone?

It is hard to say what actually caused the plant to turn brown.

It could have been stressed from leaving the garden center, fungus issue, insects, over watering, sun scorch to name a few reasons.

Generally a garden center will guarantee a plant for the first year. I would see if they would replace the tree.

Here is a link to refresh you on the care requirements.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/umbrella-pine/umbrella-pine-planting.htm

00
Here are more questions about Umbrella Plants