Kumquat Trees

Kumquat Tree Looks Like It Did Not Survive the Winter

stewartfm added on April 7, 2015 | Answered

My kumquat tree looks like it did not survive the winter even though I kept it covered when temps were freezing. Should I cut it back? It has no new growth on it and just has bare limbs. By this time, it usually is putting on leaves. Should I cut it back to see if that helps?

Try doing a scratch test on the trunk to see if the tree is dead or just dormant - If you scratch the bark with your fingernail or a knife and you see green underneath the bark, then the tree is dormant. If you see brown underneath the bark, then the tree is dead.

If you discover your tree is dormant then I would just give it time. Each year, the seasons and the weather are slightly different, and trees will wake up when they are good and ready, which may be at a different time than they usually do.

For more information on kumquat trees, please visit the following link:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/kumquat/growing-kumquat-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Kumquat Trees