Christmas Cactus Plants

My Christmas Cactus

enazfmm added on November 14, 2012 | Answered

My cactus has put out a lot of new shoots but they seem weak and limp. What should I do? I had started it from a small segment of the cactus.

I've grown Christmas Cactus for a long time, and have made mistakes, BUT found they are generally a tough plant that is fairly easy to grow. My first thought is about light. Is the plant getting enough light? While it is a cactus, it isn't an arid, desert like cactus. Schlumbergia are tropical cactus, needing bright, filtered light ,moderately high humidity, well-drained soil and plenty of moisture. Do not put these plants in afternoon sun, they will burn. Like almost any plant, they like morning sun (until 11:00am), but more than that can be too much. They are epiphytes, growing in tree crevices, where they live in leaf debris, and are watered by frequent rain that is quickly drained away from the root system. Hope this helps.

Here are more questions about Christmas Cactus Plants