Azalea Plants

Azaleas Not Blooming

Cathy added on March 20, 2012 | Answered

My azaelas have not bloomed in 2 years. Any ideas as to why? I feed them, water them, and nothing. Not sure if they need to be replaced.

Are you using fertilizer on your azalea plants? If so, they may be getting too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus. Nitrogen makes healthy green plants, but too much blocks blooming. Use a fertilizer higher in phosphorus or even a phosphorus only amendment, like bone meal, to get them to bloom. This article will help you: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/phosphorus-plant-growth.htm

00
zaffutos@hotmail.com

Azalea's like a low PH soil. and they need a loose type soil. I put my leaves I get from my trees under the azalea bushes for years. They are so big now I need to do a BIG BIG cut back. ALSO THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to do is after and I mean within a week of the flowers dying; trim the bush back. If nothing else just a few inches from the end. The following year your plants should be loaded. Also they make a AZALEA specific fetilyzer that works great. don't over do it about 1/4 pound for plants up to 4 years old an then add 1/4 pound each year till you get to about a pound per plant once a year. Or follow the suggestions on the fertilyzer package. Good planting and pretty blooms

00
Here are more questions about Azalea Plants