mold/fungus/mildew in horse manure used for garden
I find quite a lot of white sticky and white flaky substance within clumps of composted horse manure I bought. Is it mold? Will it harm vegetables I am planting in the compost?
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
This is simply a sign that the composted manure has been sitting or aged awhile, resulting in either actinomycetes or fungus mycelium. Fungi and actinomycetes in the compost is a good thing. There are different types of actinomycetes bacteria present in compost and each has a very specific role--all of which are important. In short, the compost should be perfectly safe for mixing into the soil around your veggies and plants.