Magnolia Trees

Magnolia Trees in the Fall

Lotuslazuli added on October 14, 2012 | Answered

Hey all, just north of Houston, TX here and the magnolia trees all have bright red seed pods forming. Is this the appropriate time of year for this (I wouldn't think so) or are the wonky weather patterns at work with our pretty wooden friends? I couldn't find anything online except how to grow from seed, which in this case is not what I'm needing to know. Thank you!

I am not in TX, but I do have a Magnolia on the Eastern side of the US and I can tell you that the seeds on my tree do reach maturity in the fall.

I also know that magnolia's have a hard time producing seeds that reach maturity. You may be seeing this for the first time simply because the weather this year was conducive to successful magnolia pollination.

Here are more questions about Magnolia Trees