Composting

Maggots in Compost Pile

Halie added on September 6, 2012 | Answered

I live in Sarasota, FL. I have started a compost pile one year ago and it was working well until recently, I have added watermelon rind to the pile and now there are thousands maggots in it. Is it dangerous? Do I need to be concerned, if so, what do I do about it?

Maggots are not going to hurt your compost; in fact, they are quite useful in breaking things down. They may, however, be a sign that your balance of green to brown materials/ is off. Make sure that you are adding enough (but not too much) browns, like straw or shredded leaves. Also, it may be too moist. If it is too wet or has too much green material (kitchen scraps, grass clippings, etc.) in relation to brown, it can attract lots of maggots. This article will help with balancing your browns and greens: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/ingredients/browns-greens-compost.htm

00
Here are more questions about Composting