Lilac Bushes

Lilac Growing Season

elisemariex3 added on February 21, 2017 | Answered

I am getting married at the end of April in the Northeast. I am hoping to find a lilac (preferably white) to have at my wedding in honor of my late mother who absolutely loved the flowers. I know it is too early to find them around here, but is it possible to have them shipped from the south? Just wondering what the grow season looks like in other areas. Thanks :)

Most lilacs bloom in May or later, but there are some lilac varieties that bloom earlier, like Early Lilac (Syringa oblata), Syringa x diversifolia, and Chinese Lilac (Syringa rothomagensis). If you can find a source of these, you might be able to have lilacs in late April.

Most lilacs need cold weather, so Southern growers probably won't have them. Good luck!

00
Here are more questions about Lilac Bushes