Leyland Cypress

Leyland Cypress Tree

ekodish added on September 25, 2015 | Answered

I have a 500 foot berm of leyland cypress and green giant arborvitae. We planted them at about 4 ft tall and in 4 years are around 9 feet tall or taller. My landscaper is suggesting we go and tip all the sides of the trees in order to "sturdy up" the branches. The trees seem plenty thick to us. They are still working on growing closer together. We do live in NJ so we do get snow. To us, this seems like a waste. What are your thoughts?

Pruning is certainly a way to promote healthy trees and to produce the landscape you prefer.

Here are some links to help refresh you on the care, growing and pruning process. I would make determinations with your landscaper on the proper pruning and how you envision your garden to look.

Here are more questions about Leyland Cypress