Meyer Lemon Trees

Lemon Trees in Winter

kikimine added on October 21, 2014 | Answered

I live in Texas, central part, and it can get cold  - down to 14 degrees - for a couple of nights. Doesn't really happen but maybe twice in the winter time. I have 2 lemon trees in containers. Tag on tree says "Improved Meyer," up to 20 feet tall and 20 feet wide. I'm concerned with how to take care of these guys in the extreme cold nights. They are at present about 6 feet tall in the container and I can drag them in I guess but what happens when they get too tall to bring in? Do I constantly cut the tops off? But that would only make them get even wider. I am at a total loss what to do. Anyway of protecting them with cloth or sheet or something?

There is nothing wrong in pruning your trees back to keep them at the size you need. This article has more information on Meyer lemons:
If you want to keep them in containers, at some point you will either have to repot into larger pots, or root prune to keep them in the smaller ones. This article has more info:
If you end up keeping them outdoors, there are some steps you can take for winter protection. Remember to insulate the pots also:

Here are more questions about Meyer Lemon Trees