Magnolia Trees

Large Brown Spots on Magnolia Leaves

Reb added on August 6, 2017 | Answered

I have two young little gems that I planted in late March, and have been flowering beautifully since middle of May, I still have buds. Tney are about 3' tall now. Overall, I think they are pretty healthy. I live in west central Texas and it has been very hot and dry, so I have increased the frequency of watering. Are the brown spots from too much water, or could it be bacteria blight? Also some have small black spots. Thank you.

Leaf spots on magnolias are usually more ugly than dangerous.
Caused by the bacteria Pseudomonas syringae, blight damage on Southern magnolia trees causes brown or black irregular or angular spots to form on leaves. Lesions may also form on the flowers and stems. Prolonged, wet spring weather promotes the growth of bacterial blight, and infection is spread by splashing water in the form of heavy rains or overhead watering. Mature, healthy trees generally tolerate the infection and recover on their own. Control is achieved by pruning away severely infected or dying branches. Collect cuttings and all plant debris from around the magnolia and destroy it away from the garden.

00
Here are more questions about Magnolia Trees