Japanese Maple Trees

Lacy Leafed Japanese Maple

Pbranch added on September 2, 2017 | Answered

I have a laceleafed Japanese maple. It is now in its 2nd growing season. It recently has gotten red branches and the leaves on these new branches are larger and not delicate and lacy like the other leaves. What could be causing this? I do not like this new growth. What can I do to prevent this? What should I do?

This new growth is coming out of the bottom isn't it? Japanese maples are typically grafted with another maple' s roots in order to help Top grow faster. Cut any branches off as needed, as these will quickly outgrow the top of the tree, and steal its nutrients. The original rootstock is trying to grow back. You do not want this. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask me either here or on my email at 6.schuster@gmail.com Thank You!

Thank you so much, BushDoctor! I appreciate your advice. I went right out and pruned those ugly branches off.

Here are more questions about Japanese Maple Trees