Japanese Maple Trees
Q.

Lacy leafed Japanese maple

Zone Felicity, Ohio 45120 | Pbranch added on September 2, 2017 | Answered

I have a laceleafed Japanese maple. It is now in its 2nd growing season. It recently has gotten red branches and the leaves on these new branches are larger and not delicate and lacy like the other leaves. What could be causing this? I do not like this new growth. What can I do to prevent this? What should I do?

A.
    A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

This new growth is coming out of the bottom isn't it? Japanese maples are typically grafted with another maple' s roots in order to help Top grow faster. Cut any branches off as needed, as these will quickly outgrow the top of the tree, and steal its nutrients. The original rootstock is trying to grow back. You do not want this. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask me either here or on my email at [email protected] Thank You!

10

Pbranch

Thank you so much, BushDoctor! I appreciate your advice. I went right out and pruned those ugly branches off.

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
    Japanese Maple Trees
    Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
    Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More