Kiwi Vines

Kiwi Vine

I have a beautiful Kiwi vine 5 years old and would like to know if I can grow a new vine from a slip? I think I have a male plant. It flowered for the first time this year. Thank-you. In Calgary, Alberta.

Plants propagated from male vines will be male and those propagated from female vines will be female. But, if you are taking cuttings from an vine that has not fruited yet, you will not know if you have a male or female vine until the plant flowers. With hardwood kiwi cuttings rooting, the use of rooting hormones is a must. However, softwood cuttings generally root easier either way. Stick cuttings in sandy soil and keep moist. Allow to remain this way until next planting season when roots have established.

Here are more questions about Kiwi Vines