Japanese Maple Trees

Japanese Maple Shedding Bark

Anonymous added on December 20, 2014 | Answered

My Japanese maple is approximately 30 years old and quite large. It has been gently pruned over those years, but I have noticed the bark on the lower branches and trunk are peeling and falling off. Should I be concerned for the tree? I really don't want to lose it. Also, the same for my dogwood.

While some trees normally shed bark and others that shed just a little won't hurt, in this case it may signal a fungal issue. Since the tree is old and this has not been an issue before, and the fact that your dogwood is affected as well, leads me to believe the the trees may have gotten a fungal infection, most of which can be taken care of with fungicides. Maples, especially, are prone to bark issues. This article has more information that should help pinpoint what may be happening with yours: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/maple/maple-tree-bark-disease.htm

00
Here are more questions about Japanese Maple Trees