Jade Plants

Jade Plant in a Pot

laurent added on November 9, 2012 | Answered

I have a Jade plant at home, the earth in the pot is very hard and compact. Does it need to be loosened or aired or should I just leave it alone?

laurent

Thank you for your advice. The earth is pretty hard and compacted I will loosen it a bit to help the Jade tree. I also may have left it too long without water.

00

I've grown jade for 35 years commercially, and have great succcess using a peatlite, soilless mix. Most succculents prefer a very well drained soil, and if it is too compacted, it probably will retain a lot of moisture. Jade plants, along with most other succulents preferr to become a little dry between waterings, and since their root systems are usually small, prefer a smaller container than you might think.

00
Here are more questions about Jade Plants