Fig Tree

Italian Fig Tree

I was given a very sick fig tree, but the stem is still green. I have put it outdoors right now (Guelph, Ontario, Canada) as our weather is nice and hot. I changed the soil but it was so hard because it was dried out and water did not help the soil. How can I baby this tree, and what about fertilizer? Will it have a chance?

I would first try soaking the tree in water to rehydrate it. The soil may have dried out (from evaporation) and is repelling water, especially if conditions are hot. Try soaking the pot in a bucket or tub of water overnight. You can also choose to repot it once the plant has been well hydrated, or if desired, planting out in the garden should be fine, but I would wait until the plant begins to perk up a bit. These articles should help as well:

Here are more questions about Fig Tree