Pineapple

Is Pineapple Top Dying?

ashley88 added on February 4, 2012 | Answered

I planted a pineapple top about 2 months ago. It has developed roots and the leaves or spikes on the bottom and middle of the plant are strong and green but the small spikes emerging from the core are brown and dried up and are easily pulled. Is my plant dying? I only water it when soil becomes dry and I mist the plant occasionally. I have it in a south facing window because it's winter right now where I live, so I put on the grow lights after the sun goes down to provide more light. Could this be "heart rot"?

I don't think it is heart rot as heart rot affected plants would be yellow in color and would smell badly.

00

You may be underwatering. While it needs to dry out some between waterings, make sure it is not drying out completely. Best way to do it is to check the top of the soil regularly. When the top of the soil feels dry, then water until water comes out the bottom of the pot.

Another possibility is that the plant has a fungus. Treat it with a fungicide as a precaution.

00
Here are more questions about Pineapple