Geranium Plants

Deadheading Geraniums

mavis1948 added on May 8, 2015 | Answered

Is it true that you should deadhead a new bloom on a geranium when first planted? I have been told that right after I planted my geranium, which there was a nice red bloom on it, that I needed to take it off, so that the plant would get bigger and spread out faster. I don't want to look at a green plant when there is a new bloom and it looks pretty! What is the right thing to do?

To encourage a geranium to become bushier, you pinch 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the end of all stems that are at least a few inches long. This will create a fuller looking plant by forcing the geranium to grow two new stems off the original. You do not have to take off your flower - enjoy that flower! You can wait until the flower fades before nipping it off.

For more information on pinching geraniums, please visit the following link:

Here are more questions about Geranium Plants