Plant Recommendations

I’m Looking to Grow Trees and Plants

Danny moran added on June 18, 2014 | Answered

I'm looking to grow trees and plants at a new home but before I buy it I would like to know if it's possible. I would like to know trees and plants that will grow well at a new address to provide shade and beauty to sparse surroundings on the windswept island of Portland Dorset. The ground is also very rocky and I fear that making this new home beautiful is a near impossible task. I don't want to invest in the wrong plants only to have them die due to weather and soil conditions being right on the coast.

You're spot on in wanting to know what are the best plants to use in your new home, rather than just buying a load of plants because they look pretty in the nursery or the ads. Also, it doesn't matter where you are (except maybe Antarctica,) there are plants that grow there, and will allow you to make a beautiful landscape if you learn what they need, and provide for them. I think the best thing you can do is to make use of the wonderful Master Gardener program you have in the UK. This link will help you locate the people you need to make sure your dream is realized: http://mastergardeners.org.uk/get-involved/find-your-nearest-master-gardener/

00
Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations