Crape Myrtle Trees

Moving Crepe Myrtles

faithfullady1 added on September 14, 2015 | Answered

I want to move some crepe myrtles from my front yard to the backyard. When would be a good time to do this? I live in Holden, Louisiana, which is close to Hammond, Louisiana and 55 miles from New Orleans. These are young trees that came up from the roots of trees I previously transplanted 2 yrs ago. They have to be moved as they are overcrowding my front yard. Help.

jeriholland

Crepe myrtles can be rooted. This is what I am working on. Take a 2 or 3 gallon nursery pot and cut the hole in the bottom large enough that you can thread the plant thru the bottom. Then take a potato peeler and scrape about a two inch strip on all the limbs close to the ground Remove all the leaves from the ground up for about one foot. Thread the plant into the bottom of the pot and set the pot tightly on the ground and fill with potting soil. Keep it watered and in about 2 months it should root you will be able to cut it straight across under the pot and lift up the plant. The crepe myrtle will sprout again in that same spot next spring however. LOL

00
Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees