Hollyhocks

Planting Hollyhocks

Judy B added on April 21, 2012 | Answered

I keep planting hollyhocks from plants that are already started but they won't grow or come back the next year. The plants are grown from nursery stock. What's wrong? I remember them growing everywhere as a child.

It may be too cold for them. If they do not come back where you are, you may want to consider collecting the seeds for replanting each season. Under ideal conditions, they will often reseed themselves. Here is more info on growing this flower: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/hollyhock/tips-on-hollyhocks-growing-hollyhocks-successfully.htm

00
Cheyenne

I have found hollyhocks have a mind of their own. I planted one a few years ago and it grew very well and flowered. After a couple of years for some reason or other it didn't grow again. However, another one grew about 7' away from it that I certainly didn't plant. It also grew and flowered for a couple of years. This year it has sprouted but it doesn't look like it's going to come to anything. We'll see. I remember them growing everywhere as a child too but that was in Scotland and any time I visit there in the summer there are tons of them growing. Could be our climate is so much warmer and humid.

00
Here are more questions about Hollyhocks