Storing Bare Root Roses for a Week

Pootle76 added on April 14, 2015 | Answered

I have received bare root roses in a clear, plastic bag. I have put them in a bucket in a cool place with no sunshine. I can't plant them out for a week (at least). What should I do in the meantime to ensure they survive and are healthy for planting?

I have left them in the plastic bag with the roots wrapped in wet paper towel before and they have been okay, as long as kept in a cool and dark place. Do not let them sit soaking in water in a bucket for that long though as it is too much water for too long on the root system and can drown them or severely stunt their performance when planted outside. Once the weather cooperates, let them soak in a bucket of water with moo poo tea in it or some Super Thrive in the soaking water overnight. This helps get them going and the super thrive reduces transplant shock problems. I get my Moo Poo tea here: http://www.manuretea.com/shop/ It is so easy to make up and use, the roses and plants will love you for it!

00