Persimmon Trees

Persimmon Fruit Drop

bobbiej added on May 11, 2015 | Answered

I have a Jiro Persimmon tree and I have had trouble with the small fruit dropping off the tree. Each year it blooms, but the tiny fruit falls off the tree. What could be causing this? I am very frustrated. This year it is loaded with blooms and you can see the tiny little fruits, but they are turning loose from the outer edges of the bloom. I am just sick and would like to find out what is causing this fruit drop. If you could help me, I would be grateful.

Parthenocarpically produced fruit in certain persimmon varieties is highly susceptible to dropping from the tree before it matures. The phenomenon of parthenocarpy (fruit that develops without fertilization) is discussed in the following articles.

Persimmon fruit drop can also be caused by over fertilization, not enough sun and improper watering, particularly in times of drought.

For more information on the care of persimmons, please visit the following link:

Here are more questions about Persimmon Trees