Fig Tree

6-Yr-Old Fig Ficus

Runt1367 added on August 15, 2011 | Answered

I have a 6-year-old Fig Ficus. I love her so much. I only water her once a week, and she has done great with this! However, I found this weekend a hole in her trunk and extra wet soil for some reason. But I hadn't watered her in 4 days now!! The soil smelled really bad and there was bright yellow mold on top of her soil! Help me please! I can't lose her, as she is very special to me, for a special reason! I also found out my mother-in-law was watering my baby behind my back! OMG!! Thanks, Kelly Lopez :)

Holes in the trunk are normally caused by borers. It is not common in houseplants but certainly possible. This article may help:

You should also check for root rot. That would account for the bad small. This article will help you with that:

The mold on the soil is just as effect of the wet soil and should clear up when normal watering is resumed. You can apply a fungicide if you want to speed things up though.

Here are more questions about Fig Tree