Runner Beans

Beginner to Vegetable Gardening, Help and Advice Needed

jackdennis added on August 31, 2011 | Answered

I have just acquired a property with a large rear garden, which was terribly overgrown and neglected so I have cut all the growth back and dug an area south to north, 35 ft. sq. I had to dig and rake this area four times to get it all nice, and to a two-fork depth. Really hard work. Now it's the beginning of September, and I want to grow vegetables, maybe for next year or is it too late for this year. I like runner beans, broad beans, cabbage, onions, leeks, potatoes and sprouts. Now that the patch has all been dug, what should I do next? I have not treated the soil with anything yet.

You may have time to grow some cole crops or beans, but it will be a tight timeline.

I would recommend that you use this time to add amendments to the soil. Adding them now will give them time to mellow over the winter so that you will have a great bed in the spring. This article will get you started on that:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/vegetable-garden-soil.htm

00
Here are more questions about Runner Beans