Hydrangea Plants

Hydrangeas

Tjbowers added on November 13, 2017 | Answered

How do I know what kind of hydrangea I have? I re dived mine for Mother’s Day about 7 years ago and it bloomed that year and partially the next year and that was it. I planted it at the corner of my house and mulch it every year. I pruned it it one time the first year it was planted but it has never bloomed since. I bought some bone meal to add to the soil around it but I am not sure what kind it was so I don’t know how to prune it. When it was blooming it had big beautiful deep pink blooms on it. The pictures were taken today after frost has already killed off most of the leaves. Thank you for any help you can give me.

More than likely you have a large leaf hydrangea. These are notorious for being unreliable bloomers. They bloom on old wood, and if this dies off in the winter back to the ground then it won't bloom. This article will give you more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/hydrangea/hydrangea-not-blooming.htm

00
Here are more questions about Hydrangea Plants