Hybrid Roses

amam added on June 8, 2017 | Answered

When I planted my rose bushes, two, they were light purple now they are red What if anything can I do to get them back to purple

ellie13232

Check to see if the growth that is producing the red flowers is from below the graft. The graft is where a plant rootstock is joined to a different top stock. If the growth with the flowers is coming from below the graft then the rootstock has red flowers. Check to see if there is growth above the graft if there is healthy growth above the graft then prune of the growth below the graft and you plant should the flower purple the next flowering cycle. Rootstock in roses is very hardy, often hardier that what the top variety of the rose. This is true in grafted plants like roses, citrus, stone fruits and other grafted plants. Good Luck.

00