Container Tulips

How to Store Tulips

kiki added on February 12, 2011 | Answered

We received several potted, blooming tulips during my father-in-laws funeral in February. I need to store these until I can plant them in the Spring. Can you please tell me how to do this so I don't kill them! Thank you!

Once the leaves have faded (turned yellow), place them, pot and all, in a cool, mostly dry location. A basement or attached garage normally works well. After you place them in the cool place, they do not need to be watered. Leave them there until the ground becomes warm enough to plant them. The snow and cold does not need to be gone. The ground just need to be workable enough to plant the bulbs.

Also, they will not bloom this spring and may never bloom again at all as many tulips are fickle this way. While there is nothing you can do to get them to bloom this spring, this article will help you with getting them to bloom in future years:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/tulips/tulips-bloom-every-year.htm

00
Here are more questions about Container Tulips