Japanese Lilacs

How to Save My Japanese Tree Lilac

About 3 winters ago, we had severe cold and lots of snow. Come spring, I thought my Japanese Tree Lilac had died. Mid June we decided to cut it down because there were no leaves. However, when the pruner handed me a branch, I saw tiny leaf buds on it. We stopped cutting, but four branches about 1-1 1/2" thick were cut off. The rest of the tree leafed out okay and has been producing wonderful blossoms. However, about 1/3 of the tree is dead. I know I need to cut these branches off, but is there hope for the rest of the tree? Is there anything I can do for it?

Japanese Lilacs in general don't need much pruning so there growth is not likely to cover up the missing branches.
Prune the dead branches and I would determine if you can live with the appearance of your tree.
Sometimes it's good to be reminded that a loss in the garden makes for opportunities.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/lilac/japanese-lilac-information.htm

00
Here are more questions about Japanese Lilacs