Willow Trees

How to Save a Willow Tree

Jaweah1 added on July 29, 2015 | Answered

We planted a young willow tree last spring. We live in an area where there are "strong" winds. To make a long story short, the wind knocked over the tree twice and we had to shore it up again. It was doing so well until the heat (100+) began to hit the area. Yes, we live in the semi-high desert of Arizona. The leaves are turning yellow. I watered and now it seems some leaves are coming back. I'm baffled...please help. Should I water more or less? I know now to cut the bleeders quickly after reading some questions. This tree needs to survive!! It's just beautiful...when green.

If the tree was knocked over by wind it also disturbed the roots, and not once but twice.
Then with the heat your new tree is clearly stressed.
You need to treat it as a new planting and water daily and when temperatures are above 85 degrees twice a day would be best.
Daily water for at least 2 weeks and then you could cut back but check the soil. If dry water more.

Adding 2 to 3 inches of hardwood mulch can help with moisture retention.

Here are more questions about Willow Trees