Crab Apple Trees

How to Rid Sucker Type Growths in Lawn

dmdaley added on April 29, 2012 | Answered

My crab apple tree is sending shoots up all over my lawn. I love the tree but need to do something about these shoots. In the past they have just been cut down with the lawn mower, is there another way to stop them from sprouting up all over the place?

Simply cutting the sucker off at the ground and painting the fresh cut with undiluted Glyphosphate (Round-up) will cause the roots to suck the herbicide into its local root system and kills the local roots (not entire tree), no need to dig them up. If by chance it does try to regrow, just repeat the process as the sucker roots will have been weakened.

Trees tend to put up more suckers when they are more stressed. The less stressed the tree feels, the less suckers you will have.

00

The following article should be of some help to you: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/weed-identification-control/weed-trees.htm

00
dmdaley

This did not answer my question. The sprouts I have growing in my yard are from the roots of a live tree. I don't want to hurt the live tree, just stop the shoots from growing in the lawn. The main tree is a crab apple and the gardening store said this is normal but can not tell me how to stop these shoots from popping up, mostly about a foot out from the tree itself. I need help......

00
Here are more questions about Crab Apple Trees