Christmas Cactus Plants

How to Make a Christmas Cactus Bloom

jeschueler added on October 14, 2014 | Answered

It requires 12-14 hours of darkness. We have garage that is totally dark 24 hours a day. Do we have to move the plant to daylight each day?

Moving the plant in and out of the garage every day would be one way to do it. However, although I know that all the blooming directions say 12-14 hours of darkness, I have Christmas cactus on my porch in Florida blooming every year, at Christmas time, and I never move them off the porch. Also, there's alway a little light from the street light on the corner. Also my grandmother in Pennsylvania had a huge one that bloomed every year, and it sat in a corner of the dining room. Remember, the natural night length in the winter is around 12-14 hours, so if you have a room with a window where the plant can sit, where you can leave the electric light off most of the time, and even better a room that will stay cool, follow the other suggestions in the following article, your cactus may flower for Christmas.

Here are more questions about Christmas Cactus Plants