Pumpkin Plants

Grow Pumpkins in a Container

I want to try to grow some pumpkins (not real big ones) for food in large 10-gallon containers or whiskey barrels. Can this be done? Our area has much rock and large boulders, so the ground is just not garden friendly. Raised beds could work, but we rent our house and that is not an option. I do all my summer flowers, roses, herbs, and greens in all kinds of containers, strategically placed for the best sun as the lot is heavily treed. I have never attempted pumpkins or any of the squash family due to their growth habit. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Yes, pumpkins can be grown this way. They are very water thirsty plants, however, so I would recommend making sure that they get plenty of water in the container. You may also want to consider trellising the vine to save space, but if you have the room, they are fine growing over onto the ground.

00
Here are more questions about Pumpkin Plants