Insect Pest Control

How to Get Rid of Little Black Bee-Like Insects

spiderplantman added on April 18, 2013 | Answered

I'm new to gardening/plant tending. I just put my 5 potted plants outdoors for the 1st time this year because I got them a few months ago. All of them became very infested with these little black, winged insects. They have a body shape similar to bees with the large abdomen, small torso, med. sized head. I've looked other places and they said they were fungus gnats or something similar. I looked up some pictures of them but what I have here don't look anything like the images of Fungus Gnats on Google. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are and how to deal with them. They do go into the soil by the way, so from the definition of the gnats that sounds right but I'm not sure. If anyone wants the pictures I took, I can send them through E-mail. . . Thanks for the help.

It sounds as if you have fungus gnats. Here is a link to an article that should be of benefit to you:

Fungus gnats love wet soil. Let your plants dry more between waterings. Don't let them wilt, but drier soil keeps the fg population a lot lower.

Here are more questions about Insect Pest Control