Gardenia Plants

How Do You Get as Spindly Gardenia to Become More Bushy?

fairbairn added on March 11, 2012 | Answered

I have two gardenias and both are really spindly with only a few leaves on the ends of the branches.  I need to know how to make these gardenias more bushy. Do I prune back the bare branches to allow for new growth, and if so, how far from the bottom of the plant?

I would try a method called rejuvenation pruning. Prune back 1/3 of the largest or leggiest branches by up to 1/3 each year. This will bring the fullness back to the plant over the course of 3 years (though you will see a marked improvement in 1 year) without endangering the plant. Any more than this, and the plant may die. Here is an article that you may also find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/gardenia/when-to-prune-a-gardenia.htm

00
Here are more questions about Gardenia Plants