Banana Trees

How Do You Care for an Outdoor Banana Plant

Veldab954 added on May 5, 2015 | Answered

How do you care for an outdoor banana plant? Do you pull the old leaves off? The leaves are turning brown, and around the lower part of the tree are dead stalks. I'm not sure what you call them. This is my first time. I think the plant needs a little help. Some kids have not been so nice to the plant. Please help me help it.

It is normal for the bottom leaves of a banana tree to naturally shrivel and die as the plant grows new leaves out of its center. You may trim off the dead foliage and you may prune those dead stems that surround your tree to the ground.

However, if you are talking about all the leaves turning brown and just not the lower ones, then this could indicate the tree has been under-watered (most likely) or over-watered. How have you been watering it?

For more information on banana tree care, please visit the following link:

Here are more questions about Banana Trees